If Life Were a Cookbook...
"Intelligent people are always ready to learn. Their ears are open for knowledge." - Proverbs 18:15 (New Living Translation)
What is learning? It is the collection, storage, and application of information to your every day experiences. Learning is an expected part of living.
When I was assessed for, and diagnosed with autism as an adult in September 2023, the neuropsychologist used the assessments as a way to observe what are the essential elements needed for me to learn. How does my brain form associative connections? Based on the assessment data, she concluded that I need three core components to learn.
Aural - while I benefit some from written information, and even more from a demonstration, it is essential for me to hear the instruction. If I am reading, I must at least imagine the sound my voice within my head in order to make sense of the information. If I watch a demonstration of how to make or do something, I still need to verbally interpret what am seeing and talk myself through it.
Concrete - while neurotypical people can read between the lines of inference and nuance, my brain becomes muddled and confused trying to filter the true meaning of what someone is telling me. If you want me to understand, be absolute, specific, explicit with as much detail as you can think of. There is still a high possibility that I will come to you with a question to clarify something that you thought was clear.
Sequential - I cannot simply maneuver myself from "point A to point B." A "big picture" perspective does not give me enough information. I need all the micro-processes involved in getting there.
Of course this would be the "ideal" environment, but I know life cannot center around me. If you notice me puzzling, crying, or visibly worked up over a task, it is likely that one of these components is missing from the equation. Most days, I must muddle through the ambiguity and be content with the small hints of progress vs completion. Or else I must believe others who assure me that things turned out okay even if they were not quite according to plan.
For me, learning is like following a recipe - gather all the information, organize the information into precise steps to follow, then execute the plan. If something goes wrong, I assume the fault of not "following the recipe" correctly. Maybe I did not gather all the information. Maybe "this" step was not clear. Perhaps there was a need to improvise along the way. I assume that the "product" will come out as intended if I do it the "prescribed way," so I tend to be hard on myself when it doesn't work. I put pressure on myself because others will either like or dislike the outcome. It seems important to "get it right." When I have a dozen "recipes" to follow simultaneously (e.g., when I am socializing and trying to observe prosocial protocols, or when I am trying to teach a small group in the classroom), it feels like a high stakes balancing act, and I am likely to drop the metaphorical ball at some point.
At the end of the day, though, the more I practice following the "recipes" life hands me, the smoother and faster the outcome. Even if "following the recipe" never becomes automatic, at least it can become familiar. I pray I remain "ready to learn." To that end, bring on the next recipe!
Thanks for writing this blog post! You've written a helpful recipe for the rest of us to follow too with all the ingredients!
ReplyDeleteThanks for being the first one to comment on my blog! And thank you for your encouragement. The unique challenge with autism is that I cannot speak for everyone with autism. I can only share how you can understand me.
DeleteI love this analogy so much! I have never heard it put quite that way! But, if resonates with me and I’m going to be meditating on it. Thanks for sharing, chica! Much love.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Hadassah! I am glad it made sense. Not everyone is so "clinical" in the way they approach learning, but it is the way my brain approaches it.
DeleteYou have a gift for writing and a willingness to share that is a blessing to all of us who know and work with you Andrea. Thank you for helping us learn more about you and more about ourselves! Write on friend ❣️
ReplyDeleteThanks, Sandy!
Delete