Words Have Meaning .e

 

“A person has joy in an apt answer, And how delightful is a timely word!” - Proverbs 15:23 (New American Standard Bible)

In September 2023 I was assessed by a neuropsychologist. The goal (as far as I was concerned), was to secure a professional referral for vocational rehabilitation. I wanted to hone some skills in situational awareness (accurately interpreting nonverbal communication and being more generally observant to what was happening around me). These skills are essential in a kindergarten classroom, and it seemed I needed some specialized, focused training in this area. Little did I know that I would be diagnosed with autism in the weeks that followed.

As the introduction interview progressed, I asked the specialist a question: how would assessments give her accurate, real-time data about things that challenge me? I wished she could secretly install a camera in my classroom  and catch me in the act, so to speak, instead of “fabricating the scenario”.by conducting an assessment. I paused, realizing that what I said had not come out just right. What did I mean? I meant that assessments felt “staged,” or hypothetical. Later as I thought about the conversation, I realized the word my brain was grasping at was “simulate.”  The assessments simulate a hypothetical scenario to observe what I know and how I might respond, but is it an accurate representation of real-time situations?  The specialist reassured me that assessments can still accurately detect reasoning and observation patterns.

I reflected later on why I did not immediately realize what the problem was with my word choice. My brain did not detect the nuance distinguishing those synonyms from each other. Since “fabricate”and “simulate” both have the idea of making up information or situations, my brain thought they had equal value in expressing my idea. When I could not think of one word, it quickly inserted another. 

This is just one of many examples of the way my brain maps words. I do not easily notice nuance. The things that “go without saying” often need to be explained to me. Go figure. 

Sarcasm is fraught with nuance. If you tell me something sarcastically with a straight face, I will either believe you or I will argue about how you are wrong. You have to exaggerate the tone of your voice for me to catch on to the humor. Even then, be prepared for some realism in return. I have an innate desire for accuracy.

On the other hand I am a big fan of puns. I am sure you know, for example, that you PARK on a DRIVEway and DRIVE on a PARKway. One joke my dad is fond of telling is that he has four and a half dozen kids. 4-1/2 dozen is not the same as 4 and 1/2-dozen (6). He does not have 54 kids- he has 10.

Words definitely have meaning. I *normally* find it challenging to discern the nuance. Still,  I continue to challenge myself to grow in this area


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Place to Belong

If Life Were a Cookbook...

Created for Eternity